Cartier Mansion Tour
The House a Necklace Bought
Designed by architect Robert W. Gibson and finished in 1905 for financier Morton F. Plant, the Neo-Renaissance Cartier Mansion is the area’s last standing private mansion. As the story goes, Pierre Cartier acquired the mansion in 1917, after the Plants moved uptown, in exchange for $100 in cash and a double-stranded pearl necklace valued at the time at $1 million. The building now has landmark status and still looks substantially as it did when Cartier acquired it. The recent renovation of the mansion, completed in 2016 by Beyer Blinder Belle and French architect Thierry W. Despont, returned it to a tastefully furnished, if exceedingly grand, private home. Join us as we learn about the history of Cartier, the mansion and the product, while exploring the custom furnishings, refurbished oak paneling, celebrity-inspired salons, and, of course, sparkling displays of rare jewels. The tour will be followed by a champagne and water toast in one of the private areas of the Mansion.